The Alliston Herald office on Victoria Street in downtown Alliston.

The Alliston Herald office on Victoria Street in downtown Alliston.

The Alliston Herald was originally called the Alliston Star and was established in 1862, by George Fletcher, son of the original founders of Alliston. In 1870, Mr. Fletcher changed the name of the paper to the Alliston Herald and later incorporated the neighbouring newspapers, the Tottenham Sentinel (1864) and the Beeton World (1833). Over the years, the paper changed hands many times, but endured as the primary source for local events and news.

Publishing since 1870, the Alliston Herald delivers local community news, information, events, and profiles on local people and business, sports – all while supporting growth and community development. By the 1980’s, many newspapers had fallen on hard times. The Alliston Herald owes its survival to loyal readers, local content, and to Metroland Media, another survivor of the print world.

In February 1981, the name “Metroland” was established by amalgamation of Metrospan Community Newspapers, a  subsidiary of Torstar Corporation and Inland Publishing Company, a subsidiary of The Telegram Corporation. At the time of Metroland’s formation, the company consisted of 16 small local newspapers, each publishing once weekly, serving communities from Burlington in the west to Oshawa in the east, and Newmarket in the north.

During the 1980’s and 1990’s Metroland Media expanded geographically and subsequently acquired the Alliston Herald in 1996. Many of Metroland’s local newspapers date back more than a century and Metroland has a proud history of involvement in the communities it serves.  Today the Alliston Herald is as relevant as ever with circulation of over 23,00 plus a wealth of online followers.

An old receipt book found in the Tottenham Chamber of Commerce office shows that the Alliston Herald has been a member in good standing of the chamber since 1966 – 50 years ago! Representatives of the Tottenham Beeton & District Chamber of Commerce appreciate Legacy Members such as the Alliston Herald – they not only survived throughout changing times, but they have thrived and enriched our community.  Thank you Metroland Media, the Alliston Herald, and George Fletcher!

The Alliston Herald serves the municipalities of New Tecumseth (Alliston, Beeton, and Tottenham along with rural areas of former Tecumseth Township) Adjala-Tosorontio, and Essa. To read today’s current news, visit Simcoe.com

HeraldsNoBkgdHerald evolution

Herald receiptsnip herald